Seasonal Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy free, Egg free recipe
Tasty vegan sandwich is made with beetroot sauerkraut, gherkins, mushrooms and rye bread. Recipe is courtesy of Biona.
- To make the Russian dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Finely slice the mushrooms. Heat a little oil in a large fry pan and sautée the garlic for 20 seconds before adding the mustard and fennel seeds.
- Add the mushrooms and toss through the spices. Cook for four minutes before seasoning with sea salt.
- To assemble the sandwich, lightly butter one side of the rye bread slices and place them butter side down on a pan. Grill until lightly toasted.
- Remove from the pan and smear the unbuttered side of one slice with a good dollop of the dressing before following with a generous handful of the mushrooms. If you are using cheese slices, add a slice now then add the sauerkraut, slices of the gherkin and fresh dill.
- Place the second slice of bread on top (buttered side out) and return the sandwich to the pan and lightly grill until warmed through.
- Serve immediately.
Courtesy of Biona
Special DietsWhen using the ingredients listed, this recipe is suitable for the following diets:
• Dairy free
• Egg free
Please Note: May still contain traces of gluten, egg and dairy or other allergens. Before consumption always check the label of each individual product/ingredient for allergens.
- For the Mushrooms:
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil, to fry
- 150g mixed mushrooms
- Pinch sea salt
- For the Russian dressing:
- 1 tbsp Biona Organic Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Biona Organic Gherkins
- 1 tsp Biona Organic Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 115g vegan mayonnaise
- For the Sandwich:
- 3 Biona Organic Gherkins, sliced
- 3 slices vegan cheese
- 6 slices Biona Organic Chia and Flaxseed Rye Bread
- Biona Organic Ruby Beetroot Sauerkraut
- Fresh dill
- Vegan butter
Please Note: May still contain traces of gluten, egg and dairy or other allergens.